ITALY, A COUNTRY WITHOUT A SHEPHERD:
-Evangelicals are 0.5-1% of the population
-On average 1 church every 22 cities
-Very few biblically trained leaders
-Strong resistance to the gospel
-Estimated 150’000 fortune-tellers
ITALY AND HUMAN TRAFFICKING:
- There are approximately 27 million victims of human trafficking for sex and labor in the world today (U.S. State Dept., 2012). Italy is one of the FIRST destinations for human trafficking.
- There are an estimated 1 million victims of commercial sexual exploitation in Europe (UNDOC, 2012). Italy has the 3rd highest percentage of men who pay for sex (45% of men).
- Prostitution has been legal in Italy for over 50 years (since 1958), but is not regulated.
- 99% of migrant sex workers in Italy have traveled transnationally (TAMPEP, 2009). E.g. 80% of Nigerian female refugees ends up into prostitution.
- Italy has about 120’000 women who are victims of sex slavery. Only 2% of them are rescued.